King’s Own Royal Border Regiment
As part of the general reductions in the strength of the Army proposed in 1957, The King’s Own Royal Regiment (Lancaster) and The Border Regiment amalgamated to form The King’s Own Royal Border Regiment on 1 October 1959.
1959 Based at Humbleton Camp, Barnard Castle, Co. Durham; received New Colours from the Chief of the Imperial General Staff General Sir Francis Festing GCB KBE DSO at the Amalgamation Parade on 31 October; the Freedoms of Carlisle, Appleby and Lancaster, the County towns of Cumberland, Westmorland and Lancashire were granted to the Regiment on St, George’s Day, 23 April 1960
1960-61 served in the Southern Cameroons in West Africa to oversee the elections in the new Independent State in 1961.
1962-64 based at Keightley Barracks, Wupperthal in West Germany
1964-67 based at Heathfield Camp Honiton, Devon. Tour in British Guyana, South America December 1964 to September 1965, Assistance provided to local authorities in the aftermath of the Aberfan Mining disaster, South Wales 1966.
1967-68 tour February 1967 to Bahrein in the Middle East with Company Tours in Aden; C Company the last British unit to leave the Colony
1968-70 Cyprus, based in Episkopi and Dhekelia
1970-72 based at Roman Way Camp, Colchester, Essex. Regiment took its present cap badge into wear on St. George’s Day 1970 in place of the old Lancastrian Brigade Badge. March 1971 short introductory tour in N. Ireland
1972-73 residential tour based at Ballykinler on the outskirts of Londonderry, N. Ireland, the Battalion actively engaged in all areas of the province
1973-74 Saighton Camp, Chester
1974-77 Queen Elizabeth Barracks, Minden, West Germany BAOR; tours in West Belfast, N. Ireland December 1974 to April 1975; Belfast June to October 1976
1977-81 Weeton Camp nr. Blackpool, Lancashire tour in West Belfast September 1978 to January 1979; tour in Crossmaglen, S. Armagh, N. Ireland December 1979 to May 1980; provided emergency cover during the Firemens’ and Ambulancemens’ dispute; Regiment celebrated its Tercentenary in July 1980 and received New Colours from HRH Princess Alexandra, who had been appointed the Regiment’s Colonel-in-Chief in 1977.
1981-83 Montgomery Barracks, Berlin, West Germany BAOR.
1983-85 Somme Barracks, Catterick, N. Yorkshire; tour in Falkland Islands, South Atlantic July to November 1983
1985-87 Palace Barracks, Holywood, Belfast N. Ireland; second residential tour in the province
1987-92 Meanee Barracks, Colchester Essex; UN tour in Cyprus December 1987 to July 1988; tour in S. Armagh, N. Ireland April to September 1989 (Op Fondant); provided search teams in aftermath of the Lockerbie plane crash to search Kielder Forest; tour in Belize, S. America April to October 1991; provided emergency cover during the Ambulancemens’ dispute; Regimental band served in Gulf War.
1992-95 based at Ebrington Barracks, Londonderry, N. Ireland; the longest ever residential tour of the Province by an Infantry Battalion.
1995-2001 based at Bourlon Barracks, Catterick in N. Yorkshire; re-roled as an Armoured Infantry Battalion using Warrior, 432 and CVR(T) tracked vehicles; tour with SFOR in Bosnia October 1997 to April 1998, in Macedonia with KFOR in 1999 Op Upminster; and Bosnia in 2000 Op Palatine.
2001 based at Salamanca Barracks, Episkopi in Cyprus, serving in the light role as Sovereign base troops.
2003 September to St. George’s Barracks, North Luffenham, Rutland; training in Belize October/November 2003; last N. Ireland tour June 2004 to January 2005; Op Telic 7 tour in Iraq October 2005 to April 2006.
2006 Merged with the King’s Regiment (Liverpool & Manchester) and The Queen’s Lancashire Regiment to form The Duke of Lancaster’s Regiment (King’s, Lancashire & Border) on 1st July
Regimental Depots- Regular Army Training
In 1959 both the King’s Own Depot at Bowerham Barracks in Lancaster and The Border Regiment Depot in Carlisle Castle ceased to train recruits, both Regular and National Servicemen. Recruits for all the Lancashire Regiments and King’s Own Royal Border trained at Fulwood Barracks in Preston, the Lancastrian Brigade Training centre from September 1959. In 1970 The King’s Division was formed, which for administrative purposes, included six infantry Regiments, three east (Prince of Wales Own Regiment of Yorkshire, The Green Howards, Duke of Wellington’s Regiment) and three west (King’s Own Royal Border, The King’s Regiment and the Queen’s Lancashire Regiment) of the Pennines. Recruits were trained at the King’s Division Depot at Queen Elizabeth Barracks at Strensall near York.
Due to reductions in the Army and greater centralisation of training, the King’s Division Depot closed in 1995. Recruits were then trained together with recruits for the Regiments of the Scottish Division at the Army Training Regiment at Glencorse, Penecuik near Glasgow and then at the Infantry Training Centre, Catterick, North Yorkshire prior to joining the 1st Battalion and nearly all the soldiers came from Cumbria and North Lancashire.
Since 2006, all recruit training has been carried out at Catterick. Newly trained soldiers of the Duke of Lancaster’s Regiment join either the 1st or the 2nd Battalions.
The Territorial Army – Volunteers
4/5th Battalion The KING’S OWN ROYAL REGIMENT (LANCASTER) TA 1959-1969 & 4th Battalion The BORDER REGIMENT TA 1959-1969
Both TA Battalions of the King’s Own and Border Regiments survived with their own cap badges, as did units of the Army Cadet Force (ACF) in north Lancashire, Cumberland and Westmorland. 4/5 King’s Own had Battalion HQ in Lancaster, with Companies and Platoons at Fleetwood, Lancaster, Morecambe, Carnforth, Ulverston and Barrow-in-Furness. 4 Border had Battalion HQ at Carlisle, with Companies and Platoons at Kendal, Penrith, Carlisle, Cockermouth and Workington. Both units received New Colours in 1962 and 1959 respectively. In 1967 drastic cuts in the TA reduced Company locations and withdrew most support from the TA, but both Battalions survived with Battalion HQ and three Companies. 4/5 King’s Own – HQ and 1 Company Lancaster, including Morecambe and Carnforth, Barrow (including Ulverston and Furness), Blackpool (including Fleetwood, the north Fylde and elements of 288 Regt RA TA); 4 Border – HQ and A (W&CY) Company Carlisle, including personnel from 851st Independent Battery (Westmorland & Cumberland Yeomanry) RA TA, B (Border) Kendal and C (Cumberland Artillery) Workington – both units were reduced to a cadre of 11 all ranks in April 1969.
Lancastrian & Northumbrian Volunteers TAVR 1967-1975
In April 1967 the Lancastrian Volunteers were formed and by 1969 A Company had Platoons in Carlisle and Workington and E Company was based at Lancaster and Barrow; the other Companies were spread throughout Lancashire. The old Border Regiment TA Company in Kendal, rather strangely was redesignated as B (4 Border) Company Northumbrian Volunteers, but still wore The Border Regiment cap badge.
4th (Volunteer) Battalion The King’s Own Royal Border Regiment TAVR 1975-1999
In 1975 a TA Battalion for each of the three Regiments west of the Pennines was established. The 4th (Volunteer) Battalion of the King’s Own Royal Border Regiment was formed on St George’s Day 1975 from A and E Companies Lancastrian Volunteers, B (4 Border) Company Northumbrian Volunteers and the cadres of 4/5 King’s Own and 4 Border. The Old Colours of 4/5King’s Own were carried until July 1980 when New Colours were presented by HRH Princess Alexandra at Weeton. Battalion Headquarters were in Lancaster with Company/Platoon locations at Barrow-in-Furness, Kendal, Workington and Carlisle.
The Lancastrian & Cumbrian Volunteers 1999-2006
The Territorial Army was drastically reduced in 1999. 4 King’s Own Border was reduced to two Companies, which formed The Lancastrian and Cumbrian Volunteers with two Companies from the 4th Battalion The Queen’s Lancashire Regiment. The two King’s Own Royal Border Regiment Companies were SICILY, based at Workington and Carlisle, and TOBRUK, based at Barrow-in-Furness and Lancaster.
The Duke of Lancaster’s Regiment (King’s, Lancashire & Border). With the formation of the new Regiment in 2006 there have been major changes in the TA and an overall reduction in the north west of England. The Regiment’s TA unit is the 4th Battalion, which has its HQ at Kimberley barracks in Preston, A Compnat at….., B Company at …… C (Kohima) Company has its HQ in Wokkrington and Platoons in Barrow and Carlisle, D Company in……. These volunteer soldiers maintain the tradition of volunteer soldiering established in Cumbria and North Lancashire in 1859.
Based first at Bowerham Barracks and later at Coulston Road in Lancaster with an increment in The Castle at Carlisle. In 1975 RHQ moved into the former Officers’ Mess at Carlisle Castle. An office was maintained at the Phoenix Street Drill Hall in Lancaster until 1980.
The Army Cadet Force (ACF)
Detachments in north Lancashire and Cumbria, whose links with the Regiment stretch back to before the First World War are badged to the King’s Own Royal Border Regiment. Headquarters of Cumbria ACF is based here in Carlisle Castle. A number of Combined Cadet Force (CCF) detachments at independent schools such as Lancaster RGS, Sedbergh School and St. Bees School are also badged to the Regiment.